TITLE OF THE SUCCESS STORY
On Stage: learning by the teatre
COUNTRY WHERE IT TOOK PLACE
AUTHOR OF THE SUCCESS STORY
High Secondary School
Identification of students’ at risk, Integration of immigrants students
DESCRIPTION OF THE SUCCESS STORY
S.I., a student of Albanian origin, graduated last school year with grade 84/100.
When he came to this school in the school year 2009/2010, he was very depressed because he had arrived in Italy from Albania and he was enrolled at the high school where he had found many difficulties and little satisfaction due to language. He began to attend the class III of the business course and, following the invitation of teachers, he joined the school theater group. This activity had a positive effect both on overcoming the psychological difficulties (abatement and low self-esteem) and on the development of language skills in Italian.
The theatrical activity led him to receive an honorable mention in a national festival of school theater groups and a renewed interest in study; good relational climate in the classroom with classmates and teachers has allowed him to achieve brilliant results in further studies. Having a dream of a degree in medicine, he turned on the studies of physiotherapy, brilliantly passing the entrance exam. Unfortunately, his parents economic conditions did not allow him to complete the degree course, having to be employed to provide for the economic needs of the family.
Today his sister is attending the fourth year with good results always the business course.
The student was subject to a potential risk of dropping out, both for the difficulties of the family context and for the disappointment of their expectations in schools. The change in the school curriculum, from High School to Vocational High School for commercial services seemed in fact to deny the achievement of their desires (to become a doctor).
However, working in the theater group, as educational and training project for the reception, re-motivation and enhancement of basic skills and citizenship, have had very positive effects in redirecting the student to the new path, until the High School diploma.
The positive elements were therefore:
- The ability to listen to the needs of the teachers
- The implementation of a “trasverse” teaching strategy, mediated by the active practice of the theater workshop
- The construction of a cohesive “group” and driving with a good climate relationships between students, teachers and external stakeholders involved in the theater project
- The enhancement in both teaching of citizenship skills as well as basic skills and professional
The strengths identified and replicated are therefore:
- Strong connotation of the Institute's mission to welcome the students of other nationalities with specific projects on teaching Italian L2 (from teaching to assessment)
- Strong attention to all members of the school community building a good relational climate
- Strong financial commitment on specific projects (theater workshops for students with disabilities or not)