DESCRIPTION OF THE EXPERIENCE
Technology High School ,,Ștefan cel Mare și Sfânt,, Vorona, Botoșani County, Romania
1st semester – school year 2013-2014
Main actors involved:
- secondary school students and high school students
- Committee against school bullying: school teachers
- Parents, representatives of the Police, medical staff, Church, School Counselor
To create a climate of peace and order in the school is required in-depth knowledge of current or potential difficulties faced by students, teachers or school management team in regard to the phenomenon of violence, and it is essential to develop a plan appropriate prevention and intervention operations. The activities are aimed at creating an environment conducive to the development of peaceful behavior of school pupils through effective management of conflicts and involvement for teachers and parents in creating appropriate learning contexts civilized behavior of pupils.
Case Study Brehuescu Ovidiu
Student Brehuescu Ovidiu resorted to many forms of violence:
- Physical violence against colleagues;
- Verbal violence, abusive towards colleagues and to the teachers;
- Attacks on school property destruction desks, throwing the class report book through the window
Starting from the idea that the child is symptom of the family, the root causes of the student's violent behavior we can find in family.
Student's parents are working abroad, so he is out of control, so he had to fend for himself.
And the only way to handle it, in his opinion, was to resort to violence, " I resort to violence to solve my problems"
On the other hand, even when they were in the country, his parents did not have a healthy conception towards education, being tolerant and kindly, encouraging and strengthening the violent behavior of their child. They consider that to make use of physical and verbal violence at home and at school is a value, a virtue that helps you cope with life. The student took his parents' behavioral model; why their departure abroad was in connection with a case of crime.
Also, the school is a vulnerable environment that reinforces and emphasizes the student's violent behavior
Due to impulsive temperament and lack of self-control, the student Brehuescu react aggressively to any challenge from colleagues, and due to lack of understanding on the part of teachers. The fact that the family is physically absent, causing the student Brehuescu to resort to violence to solve problems.
Student's need to attract attention, to stand out, maybe it was directed towards involvement in pleasurable activities, according to the skills and capabilities. The student was urged to make a poster with the theme "Say No to Violence", to participate in various projects and extracurricular activities. Was also supported and the school counselor talked to him to better manage activities in the absence of parents.
- reluctance on the part of students to the project theme
- low-involvement of parents whose children have behavioral problems in project activities.
- difficult to identify families where children are left unattended, thus being at risk of committing violence
Teachers involved in the settlement whenever violence frequently occurring among students, especially during breaks or after the program.
As long as students are in school, they are supervised at all times by cameras at entrance doors and hallways on each floor. Also during the break, the teacher on duty on each floor oversee the students, in order to prevent acts of violence or incidents that may occur.
Also head teacher takes all legal actions and collaborate with parents, asking their opinions in conflict resolution
A large number of parents are informed about school violence and ways to combat them.
A small number of students are involved in violence, both as victims and aggressors .
Each event that occurs, regardless of severity, is immediately discussed by the Disciplinary Commission and by the Commission to prevent school violence.
Also, both teachers and principals organize many extracurricular activities involving more and more students, especially those with aggressive or impulsive behavior.
Making written information at the end of each activity carried
Not always achieve the expected results, but our work continues.
Strengths and weaknesses of the experience
- Involve students in many extracurricular educational activities and national and international partnerships
- Establishing a database of students who commit offenses
- The existence of a database with students whose parents are working abroad or whose parents are separated
- Completing weekly monitoring sheets absences
- Ensuring effective communication with parents through head teachers
- Securing the school area by security and surveillance cameras
- Partnerships with the Church, Police
- Debates and round tables on violence in the Council of pupils and parents Council
-poor cooperation between institutions dealing with education of children: family, school, police, local authorities
-the main reasons for the acts of violence are: envy, revenge, defiance, dominance
-many instances of aggression occurred in the area adjacent to school